Living in a small apartment is one of the main reasons why pet owners choose to incorporate a small dog into our family. Certainly, a lightweight dog “fits” almost anywhere. But that’s the only advantageof having a tiny furry ? Choosing a mini or small size dog also has disadvantages ? Let’s try to find out in today’s article.
The first advantage of sharing our life with a small furry has already been noted: its small size allows not to occupy too much space in a small house. A poodle weighing 8 or 10 kilos – or less in the case of so-called “mini” – will always find a little corner where to sleep to loose. But there are more advantages , for example:
- Feeding: We all know that the metabolic rate of a small dog is greater than that of a large dog, they need to ingest more calories to keep their body and brain healthy and active. However, the amount of food – grams – that can be eaten by a small animal has nothing to do with what a large dog normally needs. With the cost of feed … is a point to value.
- Life expectancy : Usually dogs of race or mixture of small races have a life expectancy greaterthan that of the big ones. As we all want to enjoy our best friend for years and years …. This is one of the biggest advantages.
- Level of danger: According to ethologists , some breeds of small dogs are more aggressive than some of those considered “dangerous” (large dogs). However, although our small dog is aggressive , its small size of bite makes that the consequences of its possible attacks are not as serious as in the case of dogs of greater wingspan.
- Life expectancy: In this case an advantage can also be considered a disadvantage to the pocket: an elderly dog requires more veterinary care than a young pet. Affections of the heart, liver, skin … product of age and that, logically, we must attend with visits to the veterinarian and pharmaceutical expenses.
- “Cranky” character: As we have commented, several ethological studies indicate that certain breeds – or mixtures – of small dogs have a more aggressive character than many large dogs. Chihuahua, Jack Russell Terrier or Sausage are some of the mini or small races that can have a more “complicated” character, a characteristic that can alter the good familiar coexistence.
- Hygienic Care: Small dogs need more frequent nail cuts . The reason? They are usually urban pets , who do not wear their nails on walks through the countryside or forest like many of their larger congeners. On the other hand, many veterinarians claim that our little furry’s teeth are more sensitive to tartar and cavities than larger sized dogs. The result ?: need for daily care and more dental cleanings at our veterinary clinic.
- Sensitivity to cold or extreme heat: The thickness of the skin and the density of the fur of a small dog is less than that of a large dog. Thus, changes in temperature and extreme environmental conditions – by cold or heat – can affect your health . We consider it a disadvantage because, in addition to having to treat conditions such as hypothermia or flu, many mini-sized dogs need warm clothing in winter or more attention in summer.
Advantages and Disadvantages, Face and Cross of the same coin: the daily enjoyment of our most special friend.